Project Abundance Organic Beetroot Seeds (Boltardy)
Beetroot are a common favourite often pickled and served with salads. In addition to the edible root of the plant, its young leaves can be used in a similar way to spinach and also contains many vital minerals and nutrients. Beetroot is said to help regulate blood pressure, support brain health, and improve athletic performance just to name a few of its benefits. The ‘Boltardy’ variety is easy to grow making it suitable for beginners but a nice addition to any veg plot.
· Direct sow beetroot seeds outdoors from March to July
· Choose a weed free, sunny position in fertile, light, well drained soil.
· Sow your seeds sparingly 1 inch below the compost and dampen the soil. Don’t let the seed/seedling dry out although soil should remain damp not wet.
· Germination should take 12-24 days depending on the weather conditions.
· Once plants become established. Keep the beetroot well watered with occasional fertiliser,
· Your beetroot leaves can be harvested once the plant has formed its first few leaves. Harvest the leaves whilst young and tender, while you wait for the main beet which can take up to 10 weeks depending on your desired size.
Organic mulch can help to retain moisture during hot weather and also provide nutrients throughout the season.
Please Note…. We have tested our seeds for germination and are confident in the quality of our product. We cannot however guarantee germination due to too many variables, although following the steps above will greatly improve your chances. On a final note, we advise putting netting over your grow bed to avoid the birds and other animals from stealing your seeds. Happy Growing!